RE: [oletrucks] Which headers will fit?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Which headers will fit?
From: Roger.Gleason@uconn.edu
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:55:11 -0400
The Vette headers empty out right on top of the steering box or shaft and
that has always been a problem. With the box and shaft moved over the
exhaust might clear.  I think they also come down on top of the crossmember
making for a tight bend and interferes with the clutch mechanism.  When
they came out with the over the top of the spark plug log type it
eliminated that problem, but see later sentence. Try to get the ones that
have no environmental recir. exh. gas pipes/plugs in them as they look ugly
and impede efficient exhaust flow. Some of the later downdraft types may
work but I doubt it. With the over the spark plug log type however you may
not be able to use a dip stick. Depends on the type oil pan you have and
the block you use (I think after 1985). Headers may be the best bet but
they come in several configurations and I have heard some trouble with the
Headman or Hooker headers. Can't remember which one. I think its Hooker.
The mating flanges warp and you have to use two gaskets. Can't get the
bolts in and must use special ones. They are real thin and heat up the
engine compartment significantly. There are other members here that have
been thru it. Hope they respond good or bad, info is req'd. That's my 2
cents.

Remember this "The guy that dies with the most toys, still dies!"

Roger Gleason
51-3100 AD Huckster

I just pulled apart an 85 Monte Carlo with a stock v8. The drivers side
manifold was >'s back straight down exit, and would appear to clear the
moved over stock steering.

Wouldn't the "Ram horns" mid 60 vette cast iron center dump manifolds work?
Jon P