Re: [oletrucks] Re: Transmission troubles

To: "Gary Perry" <glperry@fwi.com>, bmdumkee@auroranet.nt.ca,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: Transmission troubles
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:32:11 -0700
I just picked up a brochure for the 2002 GMC HD pick-ups (3/4&1 ton) With
the Tow/Haul option, they state you can tow in OD when the speed stabilizes.
My brother in Oregon used to tow a small (21 ft) fith wheel with a Ford 1/2
ton with the O/D auto transmission. He said he was told by the dealer that
he could tow in O/D under the following conditions: 1 basically flat
terrain. 2 the transmission didn't "hunt" gears 3 Neither the transmission
nor the engine started heating up. He had a transmission oil gauge
installed. And I'm sure towing a trailer comes under the more demanding
conditions which require the transmission fluid be changed MORE often. And I
think a lot of people don't EVER have their fluid changed or the
transmission serviced. I have a 78 IH Scout, which doesn't EVER tow
anything. We have the fluid changed every 12 months, minimum. I have 160,000
miles on the transmission. I had it rebuilt at 150,000. Just in case. Bob K
in PHX