Re: [oletrucks] Jammed Linkage on Saginaw 4 Speed

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Jammed Linkage on Saginaw 4 Speed
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 09:07:38 -0700
> Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 15:24:38 EDT
> From: IDPHR@aol.com
> Subject: [oletrucks] Jammed Linkage on Saginaw 4 Speed
>
> I have tried everything I know or have been told about fixing the jamming
> problem with my Saginaw 4spd. The linkage continually jams in 2nd gear. I
> have spoken to people at Patrick's where I bought the trans and
> shifter/linkage (Hurst) and to Hurst service people and nobody seems to have
> a definitive fix. We set up the linkage per instructions (hole alignment w/
> 1/4" screwdriver) tighten it up and it works fine for about a week or two
> then it jams...always in 2nd. I can drive the truck('51 3100) if I go from
> 1st to 3rd. I received a suggestion that it might be the lock nut on the
> shift rod...but that didn't change my luck. Can anyone help me before I have
> to go automatic!

I agree, go automatic!  But seriously...

I don't think you've described the problem well enough for us to figure
out what's going on.  Does the transmission seem to stick in second gear
when it jams?  Or does the transmission seem to be in a different gear,
or no gear?  How do you get it unjammed?  Do you have to disconnect
linkage, and move something, then reconnect it?

It could be a transmission problem, or it could be a linkage problem.
It's not likely to be both.

There is a lockout mechanism inside the transmission which will not let
it engage two gears at once.  But if it were locking in two gears, the
transmission would not turn, the truck would not move, and the engine
would stall when you let out the clutch...you didn't mention any of this
happening, so that's probably not what's going on.

You said that you adjust the linkage, and it works fine for awhile, then
starts jamming again.  When it starts jamming again, do you have to
readjust the linkage?  If so, then somethign is moving, and you need to
figure out what it is.

If you want to email with a more detailed description, I might be able
to help, but it's been over 20 years since I sold my saginaw/hurst setup
and went to a th400, so my memory may be a tad weak.

Jim F
59s in AZ