[oletrucks] Wannabe Rod Update, Aug 02

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Wannabe Rod Update, Aug 02
From: "Ryan Border" <rborder@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 20:58:14 -0600
Things have slowed down on the project, but I'm still making progress.  Got
laid off, which has kind of sucked... lot's of time to work on the project,
just no money ;-(.

Let's let 5 new pictures (taken today in the garage) do the talking:

First, here's what I've spent the last few days working on: the new bed.
It's white oak, cut from scratch using the plans at chevytrucks.org.  Of
course, with the big tubs, it's quite custom.  The oak wasn't stained, just
a few coats of marine spar varnish.  Re-used the old bed-strips, blasting
them, Por-15, and then a top-coat of gloss black... contrasted with all new
stainless hardware.  The black surface is roll-on Herculiner; quite happy
with it.  The rear piece will eventually be covered with a yellow roll-pan.
http://home.earthlink.net/~rborder/truck/aug02/bed.jpg

Here's what's underneath.  Taken from the rear, this pic shows:
A) Wishbone track rod (mounted backwards, with the slip joint on the
chassis)
B) The end of the ladder bars
C) Air Springs
D) Header outlets
E) Camaro Trans cross-member
F) Corvette (Dual circuit, power assist, with proportioning valve) Master
cylinder
G) Doh, forgot to put the "G" in there... the unlabeled arrow is pointing to
the 11" vented Lincoln disk brakes (on my narrowed Ford 9")
http://home.earthlink.net/~rborder/truck/aug02/under_chassis.jpg
I see that I still have quite a bit of painting (POR15) to do on the
underside of the frame.

All of that contributes to the new stance, which is shown pretty well in
this picture:
http://home.earthlink.net/~rborder/truck/aug02/right_rear.jpg
Actually, the back is "up" a bit here, got a little extra air in the rear
springs to make working on the underside of the bed a bit easier.

Here's the new motor: 454ci big-block chevy, performer intake, Edelbrock
750cfm carb, Flowmaster Terminator headers, Performer cam, Vintage M/T valve
covers, etc.  Couldn't resist painting it "plum purple" ;-)
http://home.earthlink.net/~rborder/truck/aug02/motor.jpg

And, here's a picture of the truck, from the front quarter, which nicely
puts the new engine in perspective... yup, it's pretty big.
http://home.earthlink.net/~rborder/truck/aug02/lfq.jpg

Ryan.
PS: Anybody need a computing performance engineer / aerodynamics guy?  ;-)
http://home.earthlink.net/~rborder/resume.htm