[oletrucks] Survey of High Speed Options

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Survey of High Speed Options
From: "Mac Kinghorn" <kinghorn@granite.mb.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:31:02 -0500
Hi List

My trick was as follows:

1)  Replaced original 3 speed trans, torque tube type, with trans from 55
Chev Sedan, open drive shaft.
2)  Replaced original rear end with rear end from 67 Chev 1/2 ton.  Had 3:73
gears and used 235X75-15 tires.  Still reved to high.
3)  Replaced gears in rearend with 3:08 gears and 215X75-15 tires.

Now I can run quite comfortably, and I do quite regularly, at 60 to 65 mph
with the rpm well under 3000.  This also gives me about 18 - 20 mpg and
provides quite adequate acceleration.  Bear in mind that I do not tow
anything just haul the wife.

I am quite happy with this set-up and would seriously suggest you consider
it.  By the way the backing plates from the original rearend will bolt onto
the 67 rearend which allows you to use the original parking brake set-up.

Happy trucking

Mac