Re: [oletrucks] shop

To: boteler@olg.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] shop
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:04:35 -0600
30 years ago I worked in several shops that had pits in the floor and I
think some of the concerns here are overstated.

A pit that is properly placed in a shop or garage with good lighting,
ventilation, is kept clean and has good access (steps) can be just as safe
(or in some cases safer) that a lift.  Explosion-proof fans are usually not
necessary, some form of positive air flow at floor level is usually enough
to prevent combustable or hazardous gases from accumulating in the pit.

A major concern I've always had with shops in general and pits especially is
cleanliness.  I've always felt pits should NOT have drains, as it is too
easy for them to become the poor-man's oil disposal system (and that's where
you can get in trouble with not only fumes but the EPA).  ANY drain in a
shop has the potential of letting combustable fluids build-up/back-up and
cause an explosion.  For example, you spill some gas or oil on the floor and
hose it down with some industrial-strength (caustic) floor cleaner.  Unless
you run alot of water, there's always a possibility some fumes will back-up
in the drain.  With today's shop vacuums you should be able to clean up any
spills as they happen.

Even though I didn't constantly work in pits, I had more than my share of
falls due to steps and floors either wet or not cleaned up after a spill, or
the lighting was so poor I slipped over a tool left on the steps.

Some covering over the pit opening is a must.  Covering with wood or steel
wouldn't be my first choice, the the nets discussed in earlier messages
can't be that expensive and can keep not only you, but other family members
or friends from a nasty fall and injury.

Bottom Line:  Pits that are properly planned and maintained are just as
useful as a lift in my opinion.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL