Re: [oletrucks] Shop Pits & Vacuum

To: tfvjr@snet.net, MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Shop Pits & Vacuum
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 10:05:28 -0600
JEEZ FOLKS, lighten up!!
Didn't realize so many would find fault with my advice.  OF COURSE you
shouldn't use a run-of-the-mill electric shop vac to suck-up flammable
liquids (I thought anyone with an ounce of sense would know this).  If that
were the case, just throw a match on whatever is on the floor and let it
burn-off (hows that for bad advice)?  Anyway......

My first choice for material to cover a pit would be a reinforced nylon or
fiberglass web netting, but it must be strong and secured well enough to
support your weight should you step or fall into it by mistake.  You could
use wood or metal (properly reinforced to hold your weight).  BUT, don't
make the cover solid. Cut slots in metal or slats in wood, this will allow
liquids to run through (no nasty puddles on the floor) and when ventilated
will keep any fumes from collecting in a low area.

Back to why I suggest a fan at floor level.  Anytime you have any kind of
cover on a pit, take it off, run the fan a few minutes (to clear any fumes),
then look it over good for liquid or slipperly spots.  CLEAN THESE UP before
entering the pit and/or starting to work.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL