[oletrucks] '49 Chevy Wrecker - Its alive!

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] '49 Chevy Wrecker - Its alive!
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 09:16:33 -0600
I decided to try and start the '49 Chevy last night since my wife had
filled my gas can and I had picked up a new battery on the way home last
night.  I had already drained the old gas on Sunday and made sure that
the engine would turn over.  It was almost too easy (especially since I
don't have a key and had to hot wire it), even easier than some of the
newer vehicles that I have had that have sat a lot less (a certain '70
Dodge D200 comes to mind that I am about ready blow up).  Even though it
was getting dark out, I simply hooked up the fuel line and battery,
poured the gas in, clamped a jumper wire to the coil and the battery
using vice grips, squirted a shot of starting fluid in to the carburetor
and jumped the starter solenoid with a screwdriver.  It started
immediately and just sat there idling smoothly.  I drove it around some
(gingerly due to the total lack of brakes and a tendency for the
throttle to stick if I pushed it down very far) and it never did die.
 Reverse and the first two gears of the 4-speed tranny also worked well.
 Even the old motorized siren that is mounted behind the grill works (I
drove behind the house and tried to scare my wife with it but the kids
had already seen me coming and alerted her)!  It has got to be the
easiest time I have ever had starting an old vehicle - hopefully that is
a good sign of things to come!

Kevin