Re: [oletrucks] 1/2 ton truck weight?

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1/2 ton truck weight?
From: J Forbes <jforbes2@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:38:15 -0700
> 1--What is the vehicle weight of the 58 Suburban (they were all 1/2 ton)?
>
> 2--What is the vehicle weight of a 58 1/2 ton wideside/fleetside pickup?
>
> I'm assuming the difference between 6 and V8 and Chevy and GMC wouldn't swing
>it more
> than a few hundred pounds.
>
> Checking around in the manuals, I found something that says gross vehicle
>weight is
> 4000lb for 1/2 ton.  From my flying days, gross weight is vehicle +
>passengers + load +
> fuel.  The previous numbers seem low for empty weight let alone gross weight.
> I was
> thinking that these trucks were around 4400lbs empty.  Anybody have the
>numbers?
>
> Just curious.
>
> Mark Noakes
> Knoxville, TN

Howdy, Mark!

I don't know for sure what the Suburbans weigh...but my guess is it's
just a couple hundred pounds more than the pickups, all else being
equal.

My 59 long bed fleetside, with (heavy!) big block, TH400, and Dana 60
rearend weighs right at 4000 lb empty.

I expect that the 58 Suburban with a small block (lighter drivetrain
than my pickup) would weigh right around 4000.

Also, note that the gross weight (with optional equipment) of the
pickups seems to range from 4400 to 5000.  This makes sense...the half
ton trucks should weigh about 1000 lbs less than the gross weight, so
the actual truck weight would be 3400-4000.  3400 lbs sounds about right
for a small block, 3 speed, step side, short bed truck.

Jim F
59s in AZ