Re: [oletrucks] Power Steering

To: KremerRAK@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Power Steering
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 22:14:49 -0600
Rick:

My '56 1/2 ton had original (non power) steering when I bought it, and even
with a 14 inch diameter steering wheel I quickly tired of "power steering by
ARMstrong" method.  I switched to power steering this year and wrote a
technical article that is published on the chevytrucks.org website.  This
might give you some insight into what is involved in doing the conversion
(power steering pump mounting and etc).

Even with a Mustang II IFS, anyone I've talked to says if you want the least
amount of steering effort, bite the bullet and go with a power rack and
pinion set-up.  I myself am thinking of replacing my original front
suspension with an IFS and since I already have the power steering pump I'll
go with a power rack (even though you have to make a slight modification to
the pump so the pressure is correct (GM versus Ford operating pressure)).

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL