RE: [oletrucks] 1959 Chevrolet Apache Distributor Question

To: "Dane Bruce" <nochay@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 1959 Chevrolet Apache Distributor Question
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <Bill.Hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 06:41:34 -0600
It is an HEI distributor.  GM started using these in 1974.  The vacuum advance
models (such as the one in your picture) were in use until computers were put
into the cars around 1980.

Advantage of HEI is much better spark, no points to wear and the coil is built
in to the distributor.  Advantage of the one you have is that it has a vacuum
advance like your original distributor, not computer control.

I replaced the stock distributor in my 57 GMC (Pontiac) V8 with an HEI from a
'76 400 cubic inch Pontiac V8.  My truck always starts on the 1st crank and
doesn't foul plugs after a few thousand miles like it used to.

See http://www.escribe.com/automotive/american/chevygmtruck/m34364.html in the
OleTruck archives for a more long-winded explanation of installing HEI in a 57
GMC V8.