[oletrucks] 55 2nd front end

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 55 2nd front end
From: "Tom Cooper" <c_tom@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:11:14 -0500
I went to Hot Rod Shop today to talk to them about putting a IFS under my 55
2nd. They mentioned a few front ends that they could use, but he said they
have had a lot of success using a tubular front end from a Mustang 2. All
the pieces are made in their shop and all bushings, shocks and other parts
are included.

Could someone on the list with a Mustang 2 front end let me know what rear
end you are using and are you using power steering  and brakes and also what
steering column are you using?

The Shop said the could use GM rotors or Ford rotors, depending on what rear
end i am using. No matter what type rotors i use they would be at least 10.5
or 11 inch rotors. I was told a FORD rear end is the strongest.

They will do as little or as much as i want them to do, which in my case is
not a bad idea. I don't have the know how or the welding skills to do what
needs to be done.

So far i am looking at about S3000.00. For that money i get the IFS, which
includes the control arms, the shocks, springs, rotors, calipers, and
everything that goes with the frontend. I also get the power steering rack,
a steering column. They also check the frame for square and square it up if
possible, and install everything. I know this can probably be done cheaper,
but if so i don't know who could do it around here in the Carolinas. I saw
there work and it looks very neat and clean and professional. There six
vehicles in their shop including a 55 Burb, they had cut and welded a new
back on.

I just need to know what rear end works good with a 55 2nd and also what
steering column? They have steering columns that they will put in, but i may
be able to save some money if i can find a column on my own. I have a 350ci
and a 350 Turbo tranny.
Anyway thanks guys, i appreciate all the help.
                                Tom Cooper
                                97 S-10