[oletrucks] Re: Front End for 56 Chevy Pickup

To: gazzanelson@cox.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Front End for 56 Chevy Pickup
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 00:05:33 -0600
Steve:

I made my power steering conversion last year.  Details of the conversion
can be found at www.chevytrucks.org website under the technical articles
section.  After doing the steering conversion, at high speeds (70 MPH+) I
noticed a slight 'wander' from side to side (not serious but not what I've
become accustomed to with newer vehicles). At about the same time I did a
power brake conversion and wasn't happy with the braking (seemed to pull to
one side, then the other).  After talking to some fellow oletruckers and
posting some messages on the oletrucks message board, I found that the
slight steering problem seemed to be "the nature of the beast" for
suspensions of that era (especially at higher speeds).

At first I thought I would replace the front end with an independant front
suspension (IFS) in order to get better handling and braking.  I did a lot
of research and had it narrowed down to 1-2 manufacturers.  If I did the IFS
and put a newer rear end under the truck the whole drive train would be
'modern' and I wouldn't have to worry about almost 50 year old components
wearing out or finding parts for them.

I do not feel comfortable doing suspension work myself(don't have a welder
and not too confident about getting everything to line-up O.K.).  I was
hoping to make the suspension swap without removing all my front sheet metal
and engine/tranny, but after taking a close look at my truck it appears I
would have to do all this to put an IFS in (this is due in part to the
engine installation, motor mounts and supports put in by the previous
owner).  Several local shops gave me a price of approx. $2400 labor to do
the work (this price includes a rear end swap too) and said it may take up
to 2 months to 'work it in' to their schedules.

To answer your IFS question, it depends on whether you plan to keep the
truck original or update with modern components.  Keep in mind that your
wheel bolt pattern will change if you do IFS only and not the rear end too
(my truck with original suspension has 6-lug drums and wheels all around).
If you have to money and skills, while you are down to the frame stage is
probably the best time to put an IFS in.

At this time I've decided to keep my stock suspension, rebuild the brakes
and install new front wheel bearings myself (converting from original ball
bearing to roller type).  I may have the front end alignment tweaked a bit
to aid with the steering problems. I've noticed Chevy Duty also sells a
steering stabilizer (basically a shock absorber mounted to the steering
cross link and the axle), and may install that if I still am unhappy with
the steering performance.  I've decided I will make these changes and drive
the truck for another year, then decide if I wanted to spend the money on an
IFS.

Hope this answers your question.  If you'd like more detail write me back.
Good luck no matter what you decide.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside
Pontiac, IL