Re: [oletrucks] Brain fart of the small blocks

To: wits_end@worldnet.att.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Brain fart of the small blocks
From: Cameo3124@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 03:05:06 -0500
All four engines are still sought out by Us chevy lovers,Some more than others,
now yes there are some big internal differnce that make some better than others
Externally they are bascically the same,youll find out that no matter what
anyone tells you to do, you won't go wrong with anyone of them as long as you
do the home work, and pick wisely for your budget,,, when you bye old chevys
you automatically granted  by the rest of us chevy people, an artistic license
to do what ever within reason, there are lots of  small block chevy parts out
there and  performance parts still being made,the blocks,  ,283 and 302  have
the same stroke,however the 302 cranks have been treated for hardess (tufftride
I believe),Now the 302, 327, and the 350 share the same bore,the 350 and the
305 share the same stoke,, the 307 and the 327  share the same stroke,307 and
283 share the same bore....Ok are you mixed up. lets look at it like this,, 283
stroke X 327 bore=302 cu inches,or short stroke x  big bore = screamer, 283
bore X 327 sroke=307 Slug,,,,,Oh the one thing they have in common is they all
share  the same rod lenght...if I had to say which are the best ID line them
up from best to worst like this,, 302 350 327 283 305 307 ,, Isn't it funny how
the 307 in my opinion are not as good as the 302 BY FAR,,I think chevy should
have kept making the 302,,, but instead they immortalized it by only making  it
for performance in 67 68 69, it was developed to compete in Trans am racing
class in the road race camaros and the production  Z-28 Street muscles cars,
could you imagine a detuned smog Chevy 302 in a NY taxi? The God like image  of
the  Wicked lil 302 would be tarnished forever  HA HA  well it happend to f*_d
didn't it?HeadsIm not going into heads  read the books, there are some
undesireable head out there and some Good stuff, combustion cambers are of
various sizes, chevy made many good and a few bad heads,some are prone to
cracking under stressand heat due thin casting others are awesome but usuually
cost you more money,the Bigger 202 valve heads are great for the high RPM range
like in racing Vettes and camaros, Damn I love the sound of a 302 z-28 camero
open headeders WHAAAPPP WHAAPP  Opps  brain fart! Before you buy pistons make
sure you know what heads your runing so youor your engine bulider can
calculate compression so you can run the engine on avalible pump gas.Small
chamber heads with Hi compression pistons usually means your gonna need some
racing fuel to keep from experincing detonation engine damage  So be
conservitive on the Compression if your plans are to be runing on the
street,DANG I though I wasnt goin into heads  Well I didnt even touch the tip
of the Iceberg there anyway,,Cranks,,To much to tell, read the book,difrence
varies in ,forgings castising, balancing,, DO your home work, buy a  book of
How To Hot Rod A small Block Chevy and there are some others, check out what
the authors have to say,take your time.look in the want ads, go to swap
meets,get help from the machine shop on used parts selection, Price out the
parts and labor for the differnt engine blocks, heads, crankshafts cam
shafts,Your machine work  will be basicaly the same on each but  you can spend
extra money at the machine shop doing extra work, such as balancing,ccing the
heads and other tricks,  350 engines are a good base for a motor rebuild,the
parts for 350s both two main and 4 bolt main engines are easier and often less
costly and most likely the best choice for a mild setup or a wild setup.  Do
the  chevy home work and then  DO YOUR THINGRichard57cameo 350 mild blower