[oletrucks] Trailering advice

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Trailering advice
From: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 22:39:11 -0600
June of 2000 I took my son's 1998 Dodge Dakota 4X4 with 5.2 L V8 from
Illinois to SW Missouri to trailer my '56 Chevy stepside home.  Made
arrangements with UHaul to pickup the trailer in Missouri, load the truck
and drive home.  I rented a regular car hauler trailer (wouldn't even
consider using a dolly) and wasn't disappointed.

Seller's location in SW Missouri had alot of 2 lane roads and hills until I
reached the interstate.  Even then it was a long haul home at 9+ hours.  Tow
speed with the Dakota was 50 MPH on 2 lane, 60 on the interstate.  I only
put the truck in overdrive on level road with no hills, and it wasn't a bad
experience at all.

My advice, check your owner's manual for towing limits and use caution when
towing a full size vehicle.  If your SUV isn't up to the task, leave it home
and borrow, rent or pay someone else to haul it.  SUV's may look and drive
big, but many are built for show and comfort not for work like towing.  As
others have already commented, unless you have an SUV with a towing package
(bigger cooling system, HD tranny, extra tranny cooling, larger brakes and
heavier suspension), you are may be taxing your vehicle beyond it's
resonable limits.

Good luck, hope I've been some help.

Carl Ham
'56 Chevy TF Stepside