Re: [oletrucks] Rear Axle Dilemma

To: "Old Truck List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Rear Axle Dilemma
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:22:01 -0800
The stock transmission was/is a Muncie (whether it was a 3 or 4 speed), so
you don't need an adapter for it at all, whether you go open or closed.
Perhaps you meant the adapter for the Saginaw trans (from Patrick's)?
Although I always advocate stock and/or period correct setups, you're going
to have ahellofa lot more than $500 in the stock axle if you use Patrick's
3.55s (assuming a full overhaul, not just a R&P change).  Other than
something radical, there's no 235/261 set up that will break the stock axle
with any gear ratio.

Good luck!

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100 w/ 261 and 3.55s