Re: [oletrucks] IFS vs. Stock.: Lowering Without IFS

To: Devin Ranger <devin_ranger@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] IFS vs. Stock.: Lowering Without IFS
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:13:45 -0500
Hi all,
    I have installed monos on the front of my 56 and am for the most part,
satisfied with them. They did bring the front down to a stance that i am
happy with - the top of the tire 'bout an inch from the bottom of the
opening in the fender. Talk to anyone with them and most agree, the ride
after installation is a bit on the bouncy side, I installed the correct
shocks recommended by the manufacture of the monos and had a better outlook
on 'em. I did have to removed about 1/2 of the bumpstop mounted on the
frame as not to bottom out regularly. I removed a couple leaves from the
rear end spring packs to get it down a bit and the trucks sits great for
me. If I had it to do again, and set on getting monos, i wouldn't get the
reversed eyed model-I'd get standard ones. Your won't get as much drop but
the ride may be improved.....  I think a couple of guys have monos on their
rides...  Here's a link to it if interested..
http://www.chevytrucks.org/wayne/

   --wayne

At 02:22 PM 2/18/03 -0800, Devin Ranger wrote:
>Hello Bill.
>
>There are a few things that I can think of that you
>can do to drop your front ride height:
>
>Dropped Axle -- considered dangerous by many, this is
>an axle that has had the upturned portion of the axle
>heated and stretched.  There are "dropped axles" that
>are manufactured for deuces and other old Fords, but I
>have not seen any for vintage Chevrolet trucks.
>
>Leaf Removal -- also considered dangerous, this
>involves removing spring leaves from the leaf spring
>assemblies.  My truck is this way (I didn't do it),
>but not for much longer... also, the 235 is heavier
>than a small block Chevrolet, so there is more weight
>on the springs with the I6.
>
>Mono Leaf Springs -- single leaf spring designed
>specifically for this purpose.  These are not cheap.
>Wayne Osbourne has experience with these.
>
>http://www.classicperform.com/product-pages/trucks/Mono-Leaf-Springs.htm
>
>Classic Perfomance has some other nice products so you
>might browse through their site.
>
>Lower Profile Tires will bring it down, too...
>
>Try my links page for some vendors: www.oldtruck.net
>
>Any others?
>
>Drew
>
>--- William Schickling <wschick1@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> > I know everyone talks about adding an IFS as a great
> > way to move up to power
> > steering, disc brakes, lower stance and a better
> > ride. All great things and
> > probably a must if your also adding gobs of power
> > and top speed with a V8...
>

>=====
>Drew
>http://www.oldtruck.net