Re: [oletrucks] IFS vs. Stock.: Lowering Without IFS

To: William Schickling <wschick1@twcny.rr.com>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] IFS vs. Stock.: Lowering Without IFS
From: Devin Ranger <devin_ranger@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:22:28 -0800 (PST)
Hello Bill.

There are a few things that I can think of that you
can do to drop your front ride height:

Dropped Axle -- considered dangerous by many, this is
an axle that has had the upturned portion of the axle
heated and stretched.  There are "dropped axles" that
are manufactured for deuces and other old Fords, but I
have not seen any for vintage Chevrolet trucks.

Leaf Removal -- also considered dangerous, this
involves removing spring leaves from the leaf spring
assemblies.  My truck is this way (I didn't do it),
but not for much longer... also, the 235 is heavier
than a small block Chevrolet, so there is more weight
on the springs with the I6.

Mono Leaf Springs -- single leaf spring designed
specifically for this purpose.  These are not cheap.
Wayne Osbourne has experience with these.

http://www.classicperform.com/product-pages/trucks/Mono-Leaf-Springs.htm

Classic Perfomance has some other nice products so you
might browse through their site.

Lower Profile Tires will bring it down, too...

Try my links page for some vendors: www.oldtruck.net

Any others?

Drew

--- William Schickling <wschick1@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> I know everyone talks about adding an IFS as a great
> way to move up to power
> steering, disc brakes, lower stance and a better
> ride. All great things and
> probably a must if your also adding gobs of power
> and top speed with a V8...

=====
Drew
http://www.oldtruck.net