Re: [oletrucks] IFS vs. Stock.

To: "William Schickling" <wschick1@twcny.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] IFS vs. Stock.
From: "Steve Hanberg" <Steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:59:39 -0800
I guess I need to toss in my two cents...

Since you are sticking with the six and using a '55 rear I assume you plan
to stay with six lug wheels, and don't plan to drive fast.

With my Suburban I put disk brakes on the straight axle, installed a dual
master cylinder, upgraded the rear brakes (finned '11 inch off a station
wagon) and it stops a lot better.

Of course it still requires some real muscle to park it sometimes, and while
it goes down the road reasonably straight, you wouldn't cruise at 70 on the
freeway and feel good about it for very long.

And corners at speed are a little scarey too.  I think its because of the
narrow width of the frame in the front, meaning the springs are close to
each other, and the front of the truck can pivot quite a bit as a result.

Oh, and don't forget that it rides like a truck.

Some of the issues I have with my current setup could be improved with new
kingpins and bushings and maybe a sway bar, but I've decided the right
answer for me is an independent front suspension.  Getting that job done may
lag behind the decision by a few years...

Your mileage may vary, but I'd suggest thinking real hard about how you want
to use it before you get very far into this kind of decision.

Steve@OldSub.com
1954 Chevrolet 3100
1955 1st GMC Suburban
1972 Chevrolet C-10