[oletrucks] Original Fuel Line question

To: "Old Chevy Trucks maillist" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Original Fuel Line question
From: "Joe Stonecypher" <joe@stonecypher.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:32:17 -0800
I have a 57 Cameo with V8 that I am in the process of restoring to original.
The PO replaced the fuel pump with a newer model, cut off the fuel line from
the tank near the fuel pump and installed a long piece of flexible hose
between the two. I have reinstalled an original fuel pump and I am going to
reinstall a new steel fuel line from tank to pump. What I don't know is the
configuration of the fuel line the last twelve inches before the fuel pump.
Does anyone out there have an original fuel pump/fuel line who can look at
their truck and let me know how that fuel line came from the factory?

Here is the information I have been told that describes the situation
although I do not know if it is true.

        *       On 55 & 56 V8s, the 5/16" steel line ran from a flexible
hose connection at the fuel tank all the way to the fuel pump without a
flexible hose between the end of the fuel line and the fuel pump.

        *       On 57 (& Maybe 58) V8s, the 5/16" steel line ran from a
flexible hose connection at the fuel tank all the way to a flexible hose
about 6 =" long that then ran to the fuel pump.

        *       Both steel fuel lines were the same configuration up to the
last 10 or 12 " before the fuel pump.

I have the NOS fuel hoses that connect from the fuel tank line to the main
fuel line and from the main fuel line to the fuel pump. I have an original
fuel pump (AC #4460) and the inlet is at about 5 o'clock with 12 o'clock
being toward the front of the truck.

One after market tube vendor sells a fuel line for the 55/56 and one for the
57, although they turn out to be identical and run all the way to the fuel
pump with no allowance for a flexible hose. The other two tube vendors don't
distinguish between the years.

Thanks for any replies I can get.

Joe Stonecypher

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a
name of winmail.dat]