Re: [oletrucks] bad brakes

To: "Dana Muise" <dana@spazzco.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] bad brakes
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:23:00 -0800
I was surprised at how little the conversion to disks cost.  I was going to
say only a couple hundred, but I just now did a rough total, and it was more
like $400.

I bought most of the parts at Schucks, including rotors, calipers and master
cylinder.  I bought a dual-master bracket from ChevyDuty, but it appears to
be the same one available cheaper elsewhere.  I bought the disk conversion
kit from ChevyDuty too.

chevy duty kit        $100
chevy duty bracket     $95
rotors                      $50
calipers and pads      $35
brake line and fittings    $40
residual valves    $40

I used hoses and combination valve off the same donor car my rear axle and
brakes came from.  Rotors were too scared to use, and calipers were too
cheap not to replace.  I've thought about replacing the hoses too, but
haven't thought enough to take action.

I changed from six-hole wheels to five at the same time, and the wheels did
cost something too.

It took several weeks to get the job done because I was only able to spend a
few hours each weekend on the project.  I think, having done it once, I'd
expect to spend two full days start to finish, but your mileage may vary,
especially if you can get up and down off the floor faster than I can...