Re: [oletrucks] re: is it stock...

To: "aren gabriel" <deadmonkiracing@yahoo.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] re: is it stock...
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 20:26:23 -0800
I didn't make the original post, but I think I understood the point.  Or at
least I'm willing to summarize what I thought he meant and add my own
thoughts.

He wasn't suggesting that all of the cars or trucks purchased new from a
dealer with 'options' that weren't listed were built on the assembly line.
His point was that when we get all caught up in determining how something 40
or 50 or more years old was supposed to look, we are sometimes mislead by
looking at something that was not done the standard way on the one hand, and
on the other we might be expending effort to make something 100% right, when
way back then only some of them were ever that way.

When I asked someone to decipher the serial number on my '55 1st GMC
Suburban along with an answer he also told me mine was built in Oakland,
California, and that a couple of things that were going to be different from
those built in other places.  (I think it was Rob English at
www.oldgmctrucks.com.)

I've never been able to inspect another 55 1st GMC Suburban to compare or
verify, but I believe he knew of what he spoke when he suggested that mine
would be different from ones that originated in other factories.  My '54
Chevy pickup was made in St Louis (I think) and I've not a clue if that
means anything about it is different than other assembly lines.

There could be lots of reasons why some trucks don't appear to have ever
been the accepted stock configuration in one way or another.  I suspect that
some of the differences originate because some lines operated different than
others, or perhaps even implemented company wide changes on different
schedules.  Others may have been unique factory ordered non-standard options
(built by a jobber?), or maybe special orders for a fleet where the line was
reconfigured to build a limited number.

Of course, I'm a hot rodder, not a restorer, and have to admit I don't feel
I have a lot invested in this issue...