Re: [oletrucks] re: is it stock...

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] re: is it stock...
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 02:15:23 -0800 (PST)
The point was that the factory actually WAS pulling cars out of the line and/or
stopping
the line to do mods, sometimes pretty radical....astounding to me for exactly
the
reasons you state...since it disrupts the production line.

The further point was that hard core stock restorers have been "correcting"
these
vehicles in the past because standard documentation and restoration handbooks
said they
didn't exist when actually they were a special piece of  stock history
themselves.  And
quantities don't define stock; there were only three 69 ZL1 (aluminum block 427)
Corvettes, and that is the most desirable model/option  there is.

If you can find a copy, check Vette Vues Magazine, Dec 2002; this is
well-documented and
verified that these were factory and not dealer mods and that it was done for an
extended period of time and for a rather large number of vehicles; factory,
dealer, a
few owner names and paper trail are all there.  Admittedly maybe the Corvette
isn't the
best example since many models only ran 10 to a few hundred of something
anyway, but I
have heard that this was done on Camaros and trucks as well.

The final point is that it can be harder to establish stock than we might think.

Mark Noakes

aren gabriel wrote:

> hey whats the big deal, yes you could get cars and trucks modified from
>dealers, but no
> it dosen't make them stock!.. special yes, but stock, no... forever dealers
>have been
> looking for ways to make extra buccks on there customers. I for instance have
>a hearse,
> a 70 Cad, I had been intending to find a suitable roof section to chop and
>install,
when
> I went to a rat fink getogether, I was shocked to see one already done, same
>year and
> already droped on bags. I had to find the owner, and we hit it off, my first
>question
> him was, "What did the top come off of?" his response "I don't know, but I
>can show you
> thhe paperwork." he let me see the original bill of sale from the dealer (he
>was 2nd
> owner) it was a Cad stationwagon, one of 17, the bill said he bought the car
>for around
> 4 grand, and paid an aditional 11 for the top conversion.  It was a butifly
>executed
> top, and looks like it made the dealer quite a bit of extra $. My point
>being, no they
> didn't build 67 ss elcos, but !
> yes the dealer would more than likely sell you the goods installed, parts
>thats where
> they make there $. get the picture, anything for the $.. So no it was
>probably not a
> factory modification, but jobbed out, remember these are assebaly lines,
>kustom is not
> effeciant.  But don't think that I am trying to talk bad about these types of
>cars,
they
> are special, different, and rare for sure, but no they where not built at the
>factory,
> like the guy with the tow truck, I'm shure it was built at the time it was
>new, but I
> also guarentee that it was built jobed out, do you realy think that someone
>on the line
> had the time to shorten fenders and figure out kustom bumpers, or would the
>company
> rather they spent time knocking out as many trucks on the line as possible,
>my dollar
is