[oletrucks] Wheel and tire size, and lowering...

Subject: [oletrucks] Wheel and tire size, and lowering...
From: "Steve Hanberg" <steve@OldSub.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 12:36:23 -0700
Tomorrow I'm meeting with the guy who will be doing my frame modifications.
He's going to want to know what ride height I want.  I've been thinking about
the answer, and decided maybe some of you guys could help me right the right
choice.

The truck is a '54 half-ton that will be used for driving, not showing or
hauling.  It doubt the bed will ever see more than a couple bags of fertilizer
in the future.  The truck needs to be high enough to negotiate some pretty
rough driveways, though most cars don't really have any trouble with the
driveways' I'm worried about.

I'm trying to work out how wide my rear tires can be, and still fit between
the fenders once the back is dropped a few inches.  The bed is 50.125 inches
wide measured on the tire side.  The depth of the wheel well is about 11.5
measured at the opening.  The tires I'm thinking I'll use (235-70/15) are 9.7
inches wide on a 7 inch wheel (according to manufacture's specs).  If I get
the backspace right they will fit at stock ride height with enough room I'm
not worried.

Does anyone have a feel for what will happen if I come down several inches?

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com