[oletrucks] Will ring and pinion in 48 car fit in 54 truck?

To: OLETrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Will ring and pinion in 48 car fit in 54 truck?
From: Rich Kosiba <kosibar@kolbenet.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 20:29:00 -0400 (EDT)
I'm getting a rear axle from a '48 Chevy convertable. I believe my '54 has
4.11 gears in it, not the original 3.90. :( What would the '48 car have in
it, and would it fit in my '54?

(FYI - the casting number on the '54 rear axle is for a '49 and someone at
one time had run over something - bent some pretty heavy metal - so they
probably destroyed it and just pulled the axle out of a '49.)

Thanks!

Rich
'50 3100
'54 3100