[oletrucks] el camino alternator wiring...off subject??

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] el camino alternator wiring...off subject??
From: "Tom C." <c_tom@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:38:19 -0400
I hope this isn't off subject, but if anyone knows how to wire this i know
some guys on the list do. If it is to far off subject please accept my
applogies, and anyone would like to answer please ping me off list....thanks
I have access to a 1984 305 Chevy motor. It runs good and is in an El
Camino, which i think is the same as a Chevelle. It runs great, but some
alterantor wiring may be wrong.
I hope this don;t confuse anyone....

On the back of the alternator there is a clip with two wires and another
slightly larger wire that is by itself on a post.. The wire that is by
itself goes from the alterator to the pos side of the batt.
The little connector on the alternator, has two wires coming from it. One of
the wires looks like it goes to the Amp gauge and the other wire loops over
to the other wire on the alternator post, which don't seem right.
Problem is the wire coming from the + side going through the connector which
in turns goes to the alternator gets very hot, almost to the point of
melting. The amp gauge also drops to about 10 or less amps when the lights
are on.

With all that being said, does anyone know the correct way this alternator
is suppose to be wired??
                Thanks for the help,
                        Tom
                        55 3100 2nd