Re: [oletrucks] el camino alternator wiring...off subject??

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] el camino alternator wiring...off subject??
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:45:43 -0500
This is on topic because lots of people do alternator conversions
and there are three basic types of GM alternators.

Now the important question.  Is the two bladed plug on the side of
the alternator pointing up or on the back of the alternator?  The
back is the side of the alternator with the BAT post.

Alternators with the side plug near the rear of the cylindrical surface
are internally regulated.  Alternators with the back plug are externally
regulated (need a black box voltage regulator).

Whoever wired up your alternator wired it in the intermediate GM
"2 wire" alternator scheme.  The alternator that originally came
with this car was probably that type.

If it is really an externally regulated alternator, which is what
you describe, it will be charging at maximum amps all the time if
wired this way.  That would explain your wire being hot.

If it is an externally regulated alternator, it is probably not original
for the car, thus the wrong wiring.

Identify specifically which one you have and we can help you.

The alternate is to go to NAPA and ask for a 13-4011-SW.  This is
a 61 Amp internally regulated one wire alternator.  All you need
is the large wire from the BAT post to the positive side of the battery.
Leave the plug unplugged.

Bruce K
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Wednesday, 11 June 2003, you wrote:

>I hope this isn't off subject, but if anyone knows how to wire this
i know
>some guys on the list do. If it is to far off subject please accept my
>applogies, and anyone would like to answer please ping me off list.
..thanks