[oletrucks] Need some electrical assistance??

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Need some electrical assistance??
From: "kal knickerbocker" <knickk@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:08:54 -0400
My son and I have been watching and reading for quite some time now.  Getting
a great education.  But we have encountered a problem that is far beyond our
mechanical/electrical knowledge.  Our '52 1/2 ton has gone from a rusting box
of bolts and what used to be sheet metal to an almost completely renovated
jewel.  The 235 engine has been rebuilt and a new wiring harness installed per
instructions.  Now its time to turn it over a few times and see if we can get
it started.  We have run the starter for a short time to make sure the engine
was turning okay and to get oil on the valves and cylinder walls.  That all
worked okay but we noticed a hot smell coming form under the dash and then a
hint of smoke.  The thermostat lead from the engine block to the temperature
gauge was to hot to touch and was starting to melt into the wiring harness
where the two touched each other.  This happened after 15-30 seconds of
engaging and disengaging the starter to rotate the engine.  Something is
definitely not right.  We welcome any thoughts or suggestions.
Thanks.

kal
1952 3100