RE: [oletrucks] Bah-humbug

To: "tim" <lloydt@Colorado.EDU>, "Ole Truckers"
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Bah-humbug
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <bill.hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:43:34 -0500
My 57 GMC V8 came from the factory with a Pontiac 347 engine.  The Pontiac V8
used the  same physical distributor from 55 through 81 when Pontiac started
using corporate GM engines.  For $15 I pulled an HEI distributor from a 77
model 400" Pontiac in a junk yard and dropped it into my truck with no
mechanical changes.  HEI needs 12 volts and therefore should not be connected
through the ballast resistor found in most 12 volt points based systems.

A company named Pertronics makes an electronics "points replacement" module
that mounts inside your stock distributor.  Used in combination with a higher
performance coil it would come close to providing the spark that an HEI does.
I don't know if your truck is 12V nor if the Pertronics unit will run on 6V.

There are a few companies that modify late model 6 cylinder HEI units for use
in older Chevy 6 cylinder engines.  I believe this involves a little machine
work on the bottom of the distributor.  I know that Tom Langdon sells these at
         http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/catalog/38-7281.htm