[oletrucks] AC update...

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] AC update...
From: mark@noakes.com
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:27:30 -0700 (PDT)
A while back I asked about what was the minimum necessary to be done to convert
an R12
AC system to R134.  Since my pressure was about flat zero, I went ahead and
used one of
the Pep Boys conversion kits with the R12/R134 compatible oil and R134 without
doing any
other prep.  At first it didn't do much of anything, but then I bought two more
big cans
of R134 with sealant and loaded that in there.  It held and appears to be doing
fine to
date...though now that I mentioned it, it will probably blow apart
tomorrow...Murphy's
Las and all.

This was on my 86 Chevy 1/2 ton Silverado pickup with now 227K miles on
it...original
engine...original AC setup...nothing on the AC system ever replaced.

The weather has been into the 90s and very humid here and I'm a Yankee
transplanted to
the south...ie, I can't handle the high temps...the AC has had ample conditions
to prove
itself.  It does as well as our other newer vehicles that have never had an AC
problem.

So here's one experimental data point for the group.

Mark Noakes
58/56 Chevy Suburban
58 GMC NAPCO wideside pickup
Knoxville,TN