Re: [oletrucks] Choke problem?

To: glperry@fwi.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Choke problem?
From: Cadamsarch@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:45:15 EDT
Hello G. L. at Grumpy's Old Iron Ranch,

Lots of good sounding advice already on your carb.

I toss out my experience in hopes it saves you a gray hair or two:

1) A few years ago, after sitting with a partial tank of gas, 1951 Chevy 3100
was plugged up tighter than a strand of barb wire stapled for two generations
to a growing oak tree. Gas became varnish. Gas tank interior became rust. I
was lucky to free her up without using explosives. After cleaning every inch of
the fuel system, including sandblasting and coating the gas tank interior,
she's been purring like a kitten. A month ago, Chevy and I took a couple of
good
bumps at crawl speed on a logging trail. It sloshed gas around the tank in a
big way. Fifty feet later, Chevy began coughing, snorting, wheezing and
popping: it sounded like she had a virus. After cleaning every inch again, I
slowly
learned a little: Midwestern air has enough humidity to turn gas tank steel to
rust. (Now I drain a cup of gas from the tank bottom every now and then to
get grit out before it gets further down the line.) The fuel pump's glass bowl
filter stops the big stuff but the little stuff still plugs the carburetor. (I
added an inline fuel filter--GKI, Ltd. No: GF61M--and my Rochester "B" thanked
me.) Gas in this part of the country has enough varnish to gum up
carburetors. (Carb cleaner and some working back and forth made my carburetor
pistons
move much more easily.)

2) My 216 engine purrs when it gets the right fuel mix. When I don't get her
enough gas through the carburetor--too lean a mix--I (like you) have had to
choke. When I had a leak in the intake manifold gasket--too lean a mix--I also
had to choke.

Regards and hope this is useful in getting your 1954 2Ton to purr like a
kitten,

Culver Adams
Not far from where MM tractors were made.
1931 Chevy coupe
1951 Chevy 3100, currently purring like a kitten
---
In a message dated 7/18/03 2:33:06 AM Central Daylight Time, glperry@fwi.com