[oletrucks] some confusion

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] some confusion
From: "Tom C." <c_tom@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 20:16:56 -0400
I have heard some guys on the list mention that for a 55 2nd TF, the rear
end needs to measure 61" from hub to hub. Jim Forbes also mentions 61" in
his article about swapping out rear ends.
Are stock rear-ends different than what Jim says to use and what some guys
on the list says to use?
The reason I ask that is because I have measured the stock rear-end in my
truck and nothing measures 61"
On my truck I measured 62-1/2 inches from hub to hub. I took the hubs off
and measured 62" from axel face to axel face. I measured from the back plate
to back plate and got 56-3/8ths. Nothing measures 61", what am I doing
wrong?

With that being said is it safe for me to look for 70-81 Camaros, or 75-79
Novas? I found a 1971 Lemans, that I will go look at Saturday. The same junk
yard said he had some Camaros, but I want to make sure what I get will work.
Thanks again for the help, and sorry to keep bringing this up, but I do want
to only buy one rearend, so I want to make sure.  Thanks
        Tom in SC
        55 3100
``      97 S-10

ps Here is a website with a rearend on it,,,hopefully showing wherer I
measured from on my stock rear.
http://coopscorner.com/forreview/rear_end_questions.htm