Re: [oletrucks] some confusion

To: "Tom C." <c_tom@bellsouth.net>, "Oletrucks"
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] some confusion
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 10:25:04 -0400
The rear end out of my 56 measures 62 inches if measuring from outside of
each brake drum which is basically the axle face measurement.
The 71 nova rear going in measure 60 1/2 inches at the same places. Only
3/4 inch difference per side. Not a problem at all. Although can't go wild
with wide wheel/tire combos. Sounds like your rear end is original.
With the replacement you might have to get offset wheels to the outside to
clear the fenders from the inside of the tire if it gets close.
--wayne

At 08:16 PM 9/4/03 -0400, Tom C. wrote:
>I have heard some guys on the list mention that for a 55 2nd TF, the rear
>end needs to measure 61" from hub to hub. Jim Forbes also mentions 61" in
>his article about swapping out rear ends.
>Are stock rear-ends different than what Jim says to use and what some guys
>on the list says to use?
>The reason I ask that is because I have measured the stock rear-end in my
>truck and nothing measures 61"
>On my truck I measured 62-1/2 inches from hub to hub. I took the hubs off
>and measured 62" from axel face to axel face. I measured from the back plate
>to back plate and got 56-3/8ths. Nothing measures 61", what am I doing
>wrong?
>
>With that being said is it safe for me to look for 70-81 Camaros, or 75-79
>Novas? I found a 1971 Lemans, that I will go look at Saturday. The same junk
>yard said he had some Camaros, but I want to make sure what I get will work.
>Thanks again for the help, and sorry to keep bringing this up, but I do want
>to only buy one rearend, so I want to make sure.  Thanks
>         Tom in SC
>         55 3100
>``      97 S-10
>
>ps Here is a website with a rearend on it,,,hopefully showing wherer I
>measured from on my stock rear.
>http://coopscorner.com/forreview/rear_end_questions.htm

Wayne Osborne
http://www.chevytrucks.org