Re: [oletrucks] Engine overhaul

To: "Devin Timmons" <64bowtie@quik.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Engine overhaul
From: "Bob KNOTTS" <raknotts@qwest.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 22:50:16 -0700
I agree, although I don't know anything abt 400 2 and 4 bolt blocks. But a
GOOD, conservative rebuild, with a "RV" cam, on the 400 after being
thoroughly checked by a good machine shop,  should serve you well. The RV
grinds are supposed to be good for low and mid-range torque.You could maybe
take some of the money you save over a $5000 crate engine for goodies, like
minor porting on the heads, or a really good 4 barrel carb and intake
manifold.  If you're going to race, go for horsepower. To tow, look for
torque. My kids and I were looking into rebuilds for their 289 mustang. The
rebuilder stressed that the higher the horsepower, the less reliable the
engine. So he suggested a happy medium. (I wanted a blown 351!!) .Whatever
you do, I'd strongly recommend you have the engine balanced. Bob K in PHX,
AZ.