: Re: [oletrucks] First time body work

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: : Re: [oletrucks] First time body work
From: IDPHR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:53:46 EDT
 I also started out about 10 years ago restoring my '51 3100. I had no idea
where to start and what to do or not do. That ignorance and not asking advice
cost me plenty in $$s , wasted time and untold aggravation.
You're on the right track. But don't touch that truck until you have a
restoration plan...time, $$s, sub contractors, parts vendors, etc. It will take
little time up front, but you'll save a lot of time, energy, $$ and aggravation
in the long run. Get someone with some experience to look and evaluate your
project and help you get organized. Fight the urge to buy everything at
once...big mistake, be calm and make good business decisions (even though
restoring
your truck is a lousy business decision...but we're all crazy anyway).
Do research...websites like Stovebolt.com and others around the internet.
Read magazines and articles..and I agree, get Brownell's book on Chevy
restos...worth the $$. Ask questions... this site has an amazing depth of
knowledge.
Think it through, do research, develop a plan and be organized, careful and
safe.
Good luck.
Steve G.
51 Chev 3100 PU