Re: [oletrucks] Help with choosing new paint gun.

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Help with choosing new paint gun.
From: zman <zman@gibbon.kungfumonkey.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:37:21 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 bigfred@unm.edu wrote:
> I'm thinking that it's time to get a new paint gun.
> In doing so, I want to move up to HVLP. Now I'm really confused.
> I'm not really sure what the differences are between a gravity feed
> HVLP gun, a Siphon feed HVLP gun, or a Pressure feed HVLP gun.
> What are the advantages/disadvantages of using one or the other.
> How do I know if my compressor can handle a gun. My compressor gives
> flow ratings at like 90psi and 175psi, but not at the low (20-36psi)
> ratings used for HVLP guns.
> The HVLP gun I'm looking at requires 20cfm at 36psi. Is this tough for
> a compressor to handle???

I bought one of the cheap gravity fed HVLP guns from Harbor Freight to
shoot primer, works pretty good and a lot less waste. Only needs like 12
cfm which my compressor (6hp, 80gallon) handles fine. You should be able
to check your compressor to see if it has the horsepower. By the way I've
been checking out the deals to be had on eBay for Sharp and Devilbiss.
There are some damn fine deals to be had. I'll be replacing my main gun
before the next paintjob.

--
Scott H. Zekanis
zman@kungfumonkey.com