Re: [oletrucks] 1949 GMC

To: raknotts@qwest.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1949 GMC
From: Ie61pah@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 01:13:35 EST
In a message dated 12/15/03 10:21:34 PM Central Standard Time,
raknotts@qwest.net writes:

> Any other potential
> problems with a 49?

  Bob, personally I wouldn't have a '49 Chevy or GMC given to me. All they do
is sit around and collect dust. A certain "Z49" comes to mind to prove my
point. :)
 You'll find out fast, that if you change one thing, it will lead to another.
Ex: if you put in the 700r4 tranny, then you will probably change the rear
gears, and then you won't have to worry about the open driveshaft, cause you'll
be changing that too.
  As far as things like,"Is it hard to convert to tube shocks?" That is all
relative to your mechanical ability, or how big your wallet is. What I might
think is easy, (because I might have a garage full of tools, and taken a 4 year
mechanics class) might be next to impossible to the guy laying in his driveway
with lunch box full of tools and no clue what to do next. If you want YOUR
truck a certain way, YOU figure out a way to make it work, or pay someone to do
it for you. When I say, "You make it work," I mean you can draw off the
knowledge of the list members as far as what they did, but it will still be up
you to apply it to your truck. And it won't always be the same as it turned out
for someone else.
  Anyway, I'm glad to hear you have a line on a truck. Good luck with what
ever you decide to do with it, but have fun doing it. Its not a hobby worth
having if you can't have fun doing it.
Pat Hollister
'58 step
West Burlington, IA.