Re: [oletrucks] 1949 GMC

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 1949 GMC
From: "Bobby D Keeland" <bob_keeland@usgs.gov>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:45:56 -0600
Bob,

      As long as you've been looking for a truck I think that you should go
for this one.  You should be able to keep the original rearend and use a
67-72 3/4 ton rearend (with automatic) to replace the gear set(?). The
knee-action shocks should not be that hard to replace.  Probably the most
difficult thing will be to squeeze a 292 or 302 into the motor well.

The other BobK
51 3600 5-window (in pieces)
Arnaudville, LA

                      "Bob KNOTTS"

                      <raknotts@qwest.net        To:       "oletrucks list"
<oletrucks@autox.team.net>
                      >                          cc:

                      Sent by:                   Subject:  [oletrucks] 1949 GMC

                      owner-oletrucks@aut

                      ox.team.net

                      12/15/2003 10:09 PM

                      Please respond to

                      "Bob KNOTTS"

I may have found a 1949 3/4 ton, 5 window GMC, courtesy of one of our list
members. A few questions.  I believe this year had the old "knee action"
shock
absorbers. How hard is it to convert to tubular shocks? Any other potential
problems with a 49? Does the 3/4 have the enclosed or open drive shaft? I
appreciate the help I've gotten from numerous list members. My hopes are to
get either a 302 or 292, and put a 700R4 transmission behind it. What was
the
factory rear end ratio for the 49 3/4 ton? REALLY low? I will probably add
front disc brakes, with a dual master cylinder on the firewall. At this
point,
I don't think I need power steering or power brakes. That may change.  Bob
in PHX, AZ.