Re: [oletrucks] Chevy V8

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Chevy V8
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 06:57:31 -0700
> From: BOWSS@aol.com
> Subject: [oletrucks] Chevy V8
>
> Been trying to find the information on the various V8 motors that Chevy
> produced.  There was an e-mail on the characteristics of the various engines
>but I
> can't locate it in the achives.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Just what info about the engines are you looking for?  And which
engines, all of them or just the ones from the ole truck days?

As a basic start, Chevy made the small bock V8s starting in 55 with the
265, then they increased in size thru 283, 327, 350, and 400 thru the
70s.  Along the way there were some smaller engines for economy, such as
the 307, 305, 262, and 267.  The 350 was made till the late 90s,
although they became fuel injected and had some redesign in the late 80s
and 90s.  They were replaced by the current LS1 style small blocks in
the late 90s.

The "W" style big blocks were introduced in 1958, with the 409 coming
along in 61, and production of these ended in 65.  The "modern" big
blocks, starting with the 396, were introduced in 1965, increased in
size to 427, 402, and 454, the 454 being produced thru 2000.

The small blocks generally weigh about 550 lbs, and are compact.  The
big blocks with 680 or so, and are a couple inches bigger in all dimensions.

If you have more specific questions, just ask...my brain is full of all
this trivia....

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!