[oletrucks] need help 59 GMC 270 Exhaust

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] need help 59 GMC 270 Exhaust
From: "Eric StPhillips" <inventor@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:09:30 -0500
Hello All,
I have a question regarding the correct exhaust manifold for a 59 GMC with 270
cu in inline 6.  A vendor is telling me the exhaust casting angles back toward
the driver on the later 55 2nd series to 59 GMC's , I do not have the original
manifold but purchased a set-up off a 59 GMC someone was parting out. That
exhaust manifold exits straight down (casting shows part number 2190407 and it
has a 2 9/16" exit diameter). My 59 parts book calls for part number 2194274
and the illustration also shows a straight down exit. The vendor says the only
exhaust pipe they have for GMC 2nd series is for an angled manifold and that
the straight down pipe they have is for first series 55 and earlier and will
not clear under my frame correctly. Any advice here? Any sources for premade
exhaust components for my truck...I have nothing , no pipes, muffler ,
hangers, nada!

Another problem, the 1 1/2" bore rochester carburetor (rebuilt probably not
the original carb) that was on the manifold I purchased is smaller than the 1
5/8" diameter (1 11/16" for about 3/16" deep then narrows to 1 5/8" for an
alignment ring?) bore size of the intake manifold (part number 2384898) and
the carburetor mounting stud spacing is 2 11/16" centers. My parts book calls
for intake manifold number 2350108 which replaces number 2343426. Anybody know
the correct carburetor and bore size for my truck?  The same vendor selling
the exhaust components says it should be a Zenith with 3" stud centers and
bore matched to the intake manifold ..probably the 2 5/8" bore.  Anybody have
an appropriate old Zenith they'd like to sell?

Last thing, I will be selling a Classic Performance Products Mono-Leaf
suspension set , springs, shackles, shocks and all ..used in good condition
lowers the front 4-5" and rear 6-7" (but I have spacers to reduce the drop by
1 1/2" front and 1" rear). It rode nice but with short travel to the bump
stops (without frame notching). I'm going back stock.
I also will sell a Nicson 2x1 intake with 2 Holley 5100? staged 2-barrels and
custom adapters and chrome air cleaners. I have two clean and freshly rebuilt
Rochester 1-barrels that will fit the Nicson directly without the adapters and
are "period" correct. I also have a Philips performance products Nicson split
exhaust manifold. The forward half was modified to angle back toward the
driver for clearance behind a 50's powersteering pump/generator. Stainless
exhaust pipes and dual 2 1/2" Stainless Borla mufflers with side exits in
front of rear tires to fit the above exhaust manifold. These are for small
port 248/270 GMC  six. The truck is a long wheelbase 59 Fleetside 1/2 ton.
Email me if interested: inventor@rochester.rr.com. See these parts on the
truck at: http://home.rochester.rr.com/stphillips/59GMC
Eric StPhillips