Re: [oletrucks] installing a 292ci in a 57 chevy pickup

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] installing a 292ci in a 57 chevy pickup
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:01:34 -0700
> I am thinking about upgrading my 235 to a 292 and going to an automatic
> transmission in my 57 3100.  I know there is an adapter plate to allow a th350
> to mate up to a 235, but the jury seems to be out on this solution...I have
> been looking for a little more horsepower, but want to make sure I know what I
> am getting into if I swap engines...guess I could go with a SBC, but prefer to
> stay with the inline 6.  Any advice or experiences you could share would be
> great!!!

The 292 should fit...with some work.  I seem to recall that there are
two different crankshaft bolt patterns used on these engines, one is the
normal later 6 and V8 design with 6 7/16" bolts and one dowel, the other
is similar to the 235 with 3 dowels and uses 1/2" bolts.  Finding the
automatic tranny flexplate for the 3 dowel crankshaft may take some work.

Also, the side mount bosses on the 292 are offset, one is further
forward than the other, so a crossmember engine mount wouldn't work too
well, you'd probably need to use the type of brackets that bolt to the
frame rails.

I've never done this swap, so maybe others have more info?

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
http://www.mindspring.com/~jforbes2