[oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2183

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2183
From: Joe Way <joe@brakecylinder.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:08:42 -0800
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 07:20:21 -0700, you wrote:

>From: "Wayne" <wroworth@tampabay.rr.com>
>Subject: [oletrucks] Hub Cap Problem
>
>Hey Y'all,
>
>I just put my new wheels on and am having a problem with the hub caps. They
>don't seem to fit. I'm probably doing something wrong so here I am. 3/4 of the
>diameter of the hub cap wants to go inside the diameter of the center of the
>wheel but the rest does not want to squeeze in or be tapped in. I was told, of
>course, that they would fit without a problem but we all know words are cheap.
>My rim is 16", 8 bolt, 6.5" lug spacing. My cap is a repro 3/4 ton for 47-53
>Chevy/GMC. I hate to hit it hard for fear of making a dent. Should I mildly
>grind down the inner diameter of the wheel? I have heard of hub cap clips but
>can't see how they would work in such a tight fit. Any help would be
>appreciated. Here's a link to a pic.
>http://www.itswhatsnext.com/ifs/wheels4.jpg
>
>Thanks very much.
>
>Wayne '47 Chevy Panel -  http://www.itswhatsnext.com/engine/47_chevy_home.htm
============================
Wayne, your wheels and caps don't match. The wheels have the raised
bumps on the outside of the center section for hubcaps that snap over
the outside. They would be larger in diameter than the originals. The
original caps require the clips mounted between the lugnuts--four
clips per wheel.

The original caps will seat fully in some later wheels but not others.
I don't know which ones--ISTR that F__D 8-lug wheels will take the
caps, but I don't know what kind of backset you can get in them.

I'm finishing up an installation much like yours--later 3/4 ton
suspension in a '52 3/4 ton pickup. I used late D@dge steel wheels to
get the 3" extra backset they offer. Here's a link to a photo showing
how they fit under the fenders.
http://www.brakecylinder.com/images/52chevy/chev032.jpg

The profile of the center keeps the original caps from seating fully,
same like yours. I marked off 16 equal spaces on the backs of the caps
with a marker and ground off the chrome at and around each mark.  Then
I made a saw cut through the inner rim stopping short of the outer
skin and tapped the inner rim with a plastic hammer till the saw cuts
closed up. Then I got a buddy who is *very* proficient with TIG to
tack a bead of weld at the tip of each cut. This decreased the
diameter of the inner ring enough to let the caps seat fully in the
late Dog wheels, and I suspect it would work in your case. Tell you
what, though, I did a lot of measuring and thinking before I started
whacking on a $45 hubcap with a hacksaw.

I had to mount the clips on 1/2" risers to get them out where they
will hold the caps. I have not reassembled any of the clips/risers
since I got the wheels back from paint and tire mounting, so I can't
take a picture of them at the moment.

A guy who posts on stovebolt.com has a '59 3/4 ton panel in which he's
planning to put the same suspension. I just looked at your website to
get him a link to your info on your build, which I know I've seen
before, and can't seem to find it. Have you pulled it all down?

Joe
--
Heather & Joe Way
Sierra Specialty Automotive