Re: [oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2183

To: "Bobby D Keeland" <bob_keeland@usgs.gov>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: oletrucks-digest V2 #2183
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 10:16:31 -0500
Bobby,
    After putting new wheels on my 56 i learned alot about figuring this out.
Backspacing is measured from the wheel mounting surface pad that comes in
contact with the drum to the outside rim flange on the backside of you
wheel, this is your backspacing. I threw this up on the server quickly as
it may help  http://www.chevytrucks.org/wheels/wheel_information.htm
Offset is calculated by using the exact center of the rim and if the center
is more toward the outside of the wheel, you have positive offset. I made
upteen measurement to make sure my new wheels would fit. Had to change
after finally getting the new rear under the truck with different width.
Main measurements are from the wheel mounting surface to the inside bed
wall as this dictated the backspacing. Don't forget to add about 3/4 inch
for tire clearance that hangs over the edge of the rim. Was able to measure
that there was approx 12 inches from bed wall to inside of fender, so
getting the proper backspacing was not a problem. Most wheels came with 3
and 3/4 inch without having to go to a custom width. So as Willy would say,
i'm --On the road again....   Yee haw...---Just in time for spring..   --wayne