[oletrucks] Emissions

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Emissions
From: "mr55chev" <mr55chev@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:08:06 -0700
Mark@noakes.com wrote about the possibility of emissions testing coming to
Tennessee. I am no lawyer, and Utah is often unique in its lawmaking, but we
have had emissions testing on a county basis since its inception. Only
counties with a pollution index problem require testing, most Utah counties
are exempt.  Each county is slightly different, but some basic rules apply:
Vehicles prior to 1968 are exempt.  This is Federal and I believe California
was the only state that started emissions in 1966.  However, California and
many other states have adopted a 30 year rule, and now vehicles older than
1974 do not require testing.  Utah remains at 1968.
There is a "no tampering" rule for cars beginning with 1983 models.  My '75
Pickup passsed Utah emissions with a healthy 350 and a very tired 454 during
those years
without a problem.  Utah is unique in that it has both government and private
enterprise testing depending on county. Each counties standards are also
somewhat different.
Now, should you get it, you might find out the same thing - only the more
populous counties need it.  I would certainly write my legislator about this,
and encourage him to adopt a county necessity rule, and the 30 year exemption.
Then, if a problem occurs, you might find you have to store your
non-conforming car with a friend in a unregulated county, as is often done
here in Utah.  Naturally, you would register it where it was located......
Sandy Pierce
Salt Lake City, Utah
55-2 GMC Suburban Pickup (probably runs cleaner than most pre -95 vehicles)