Re: [oletrucks] steering box

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] steering box
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:41:01 -0700
> Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 06:00:06 -0500
> From: Leon Corley <lcorley@ticnet.com>
> Subject: [oletrucks] steering box
>
> I got the new bushings installed in my 53 3100 steering box.
> The bushing set came from Jim Carter.
> I bought a bushing driver kit from thetoolwarehouse.net, an OTC #4505,
> for ~$20.
> The pitman arm side bushing was very easy.
> The cap side was a little harder.
> I used a chisel to cut out the old bushing.
> The replacement bushing was about 1/4 too long.
> I drove it in until it was almost seated, cut off the excess with a
> hacksaw, cleaned up the edge, and then drove it home.

That's what it takes to put the bushings in, on the newer
manual boxes GM serviced the cover bushing by selling you a
new cover with new bushing installed.  They won't fit the
older trucks though.

> Now my quandary is what grease to use in the box.
> According to the local Chevy dealer, GM has discontinued the #1052182
> lube that is recommended on out tech page.
> Does anyone have a suggestion for something better than the thickest
> gear oil I can find?

Thick gear oil will probably leak out eventually, but it may
be better than normal grease.  The problem with grease is
that it doesn't flow into all the nooks and crannies, and
tends to dry out just where it's needed after several years.
  I've worked on some steering boxes that had grease in them
and worn out worm and balls from lack of lubrication.  If
the truck doesn't get much use, and you relube it
occasionally, it would probably be ok.

It's too bad Chevy isn't selling the lube any
longer...perhaps it's time for someone to do some research
into suitable replacements.  The lube needs to be as thick
as thin grease, but needs to be liquid enough to flow like
thick oil.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum at it's new home!
http://www.selectric.org