Re: [oletrucks] engine "stand" for more of the drivetrain

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] engine "stand" for more of the drivetrain
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 12:01:59 -0700
> Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 16:20:08 -0700 (PDT)
> From: mark@noakes.com
> Subject: [oletrucks] engine "stand" for more of the drivetrain
>
> I think I asked this before and didn't get any suggestions, but I'll try once
>more.
>
> My V8 is currently on a traditional engine stand, but I want to move it to a
>"stand"
> that will let me set up, install, bolt up engine clutch/flywheel, and
>transmission.
>
> Eastwood sells a stand where the engine rests on the lip of the oil pan, but
>I don't
> want to booger up my nice new oil pan and engine paint.
>
> And I would rather have a setup that resembles the original format if
>possible and
> keeping it low to make it easy and safe to move around.  I don't really want
>to cut off
> the front of a frame and put wheels on it...seems like a waste when good old
>truck
> hardware is getting harder to find, but...
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I'm actually thinking about building something in wood 4 by 4's.
>
> Mark Noakes

At the junkyard we used commercial engine dollies that had
flat metal pieces going up that the oil pan rails rested on.
  Not what you want, though.

I have a few wood pallets that I've made or gotten from
other sources, the ones pictured here

http://www.selectric.org/stands.jpg

are examples.  The left one is a GM pallet for a small
block, missing one corner piece.  The one on the right is
one I built for big blocks.  Both could use casters, perhaps
they could be put on top of a heavy duty furniture dolly.
Neither is designed to hold a transmission, but that
wouldn't be too hard to do. These are built of 2x lumber,
that's what I had and is all that's needed....unless you
have a bunch of 4xs laying around.

Just make cutouts for the fuel pump, oil filter, etc.  Might
not be so easy to make room for the starter unless you mount
the tranny to the engine and support it also.

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum at it's new home!
http://www.selectric.org