[oletrucks] Oil Pressure Reading Problem

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Oil Pressure Reading Problem
From: Michael E. Mendonça
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 07:42:27 -0700
I hope that this isn't too dumb of a question, so if it is, please be easy
on me.  My '54 1/2 ton is finally on the road...sort of.  I know I have
oil pressure because I forgot to put in a plug and oil squirted out all
over the place.  When I hooked up my oil pressure tube, however, I get no
reading at the guage.  My question is (remember to not laugh if this is
really lame), do I need to "prime" or "fill" the tube with oil first or
does it in fact work off of the air pressure that is as a result from the
oil pushing into the tube.  Clearly there is no "cycle" for the oil to go
through in the tube and I really don't know that the guage is set up to
accomodate oil coming up to that point.  I know that the tube is not bent
or kinked in anyway so that is certainly not the problem.  Any suggestions
on other tests or things I can do would be appreciated.

Thanks for any insights.

Michael
'54 Chevy 3100