Re: [oletrucks] Steering box lube - give me your best answers

To: Oletrucks <oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Steering box lube - give me your best answers
From: Jim Nordwall <jimnordwall@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:00:23 -0800 (PST)
Not sure if it was the right stuff or not, back in the
Sixties when I worked in a garage, we checked steering
boxes as part of a lube job.  If the steering box lube
was low, we added 80 weight gear lubricant. The same
stuff we put in rear ends. We also used 90 weight gear
oil and used that for some transmissions and rear
ends. 80 weight will stay liquid will stay thick
enough not to run out the seals.

Jim Nordwall
50 3100

> What does everyone use in their steering box for
> lubrication? mine is
> freshly rebuilt with new bushings and bearings. The
> box is ventilated so the
> new lubrication won't squeeze past the new seals.
> I'm ready to make sure it
> stays in like new condition for years with the right
> (If I only knew what it
> was) lubricant.

=====
Jim Nordwall