Re: [oletrucks] Redoing the steering wheel

To: Michael Lubitz <mlubitz@texas.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Redoing the steering wheel
From: Jim Nordwall <jimnordwall@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 05:55:19 -0800 (PST)
On an episode of TRUCKS! they repaired an original
steering wheel. They opened up the cracks all of the
way to the steel in the steering wheel and filled it
with a product called "PC-7". It is a waterproof
multi-purpose epoxy paste. It is made a company called
Protective Coatings Co. , 221 S. Third Street,
Allentown, PA 18102.

I remember the episode, because we use PC-7 where I
work. We use it to repair broken metal and broken
plastic parts. It holds up extremely well. If you use
it, come close to what you need on the repair. The
stuff holds its form well until it hardens. It takes
about 24 hours to harden. Don't wait much longer than
that to sand it.

Our supplier is "Bowman Products", I am sure you can
find it elsewhere.

Jim Nordwall
50 3100

--- Michael Lubitz <mlubitz@texas.net> wrote:

> I have the stock steering wheel on my stock '46.  I
> would like to make it look
> better.  It is cracked and missing some of the
> material the covers the cast
> frame underneath.
>
> I was thinking of enlarging the cracks with J-B
> Weld, filling the areas with
> J-B, and then painting it.  But is J-B the right
> stuff?  What paint should I
> use?  My truck will live outside, so is the fix
> going to last?  Any ideas?
>
> Michael Lubitz
> (512) 306-1681
> '46 3/4 ton stock named, "Buddy"