[oletrucks] Transmission cross member

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Transmission cross member
From: "William Schickling" <wschick1@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 19:24:00 -0500
I have been working on the chassis and drive train for my truck for some
time now. I have a T-5 transmission hooked up to my 235. I have an issue
with the original transmission cross member and the mounting location for
the T-5. Right now the transmission is sitting right on the original cross
member with no cushion of any type between the cross member and the
transmission. At first I thought this was a nice good fit. After thinking
about it, I realized the flexing of the frame would transfer directly to the
transmission. That would eventually lead to some sort of failure in the
transmission if I'm lucky and in the engine as well if I'm not.

The solution that I am working on is to grind away some of the transmission
to create a space between the cross member and the transmission.

My long winded question is: Are other people running open drive line
transmissions that are not supported? I know a couple of you are. I remember
reading post quite a while back about it.

I figure the 235 bell housing mounts will give quite a bit of support. I
just don't want to trade one problem for another.

I have pictures on my web site if you want to see how it looks right now.

Bill Schickling
http://home.twcny.rr.com/schickling/1940Chevy/index.html